Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My friend Ron

When I first got the idea to travel to Istanbul, I went on to an internet discussion group listserve that has about 3000 world history teachers as subscribers.  I said that I was going to the World History Association symposium in Istanbul in October.  I asked if anyone else was planning on going.  Plenty of people said that they wished that they could go.  Only my friend Ron indicted actual interest in going. 

I’ve known Ron for almost ten years.  He is a teacher in Los Angeles at a private Christian school.  We met in the summer of 2001 when we attended a three-week world history institute hosted by some of the biggest names in the world history community.  Ron and I were project partners.  His good natured, buoyant personality is just fun to be around.  Over the years we have met again at the Advanced Placement exam readings in Nebraska and Colorado.  We’ve gone on several small-scale adventures hiking and exploring, and so he seemed to be the best possible partner on this adventure.  His wife Nathana came with us.  She is not a world historian, but attended most of the sessions with the same good humor as Ron has always shown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment