Friday, October 22, 2010

Ironic Signage

Today was the first day of the conference at Istanbul Sehir University.  I think that we have about 200-300 participants, most of whom are Turkish students.  About 50 or so are American with about 30 or so Germans and other nationalities rounding out the mix. 

More on the history later. 

I saw this sign for restrooms today, and I had to take a picture. 



ISU is a fairly conservative university and many of the female students wear the headscarf (designer ones too from Pierre Cardin, etc).  I didn't see any of the female faculty members, however, covered up. 

Why then would they indicate the female restroom with a silhouette of a girl's head with hair out in pigtails?

For some reason this strikes me as extremely odd. 

I also suppose that in Islamic countries this particular style of hair is not referred to as PIGtails.  Muslims, of course, are not fond of swine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment