Monday, October 18, 2010

Dressing for Istanbul

Last year I read a short pamphlet in a travel magazine called "Etiquette 101."  The caption on the front page says, "Here's how to look appropriate anywhere, from Indonesia to Italy." 

On the front cover are images of two men.  The one on the left (before) is wearing a Hawaiian shirt, ripped shorts, a baseball cap, and has a fanny pack.  The guy on the right (after) has a sports jacket, nice shoes, and a cool looking cap.


Needless to say, I favor the look of the person on the right. 

This past Friday my son Kyle and I were visiting colleges.  After the requisite tour and information session, I asked him if I could duck into a Gap to pick up some clothes for my Istanbul vacation.  Other than the clothes that I wear for school, I have very little other than, well, Hawaiian shirts.  I could easily drift into the look of the "before dude."  The guy at Gap helped me out, and now I own a few more items in black.  It seems as if men in Europe wear black more than anything else.  Even so, I think that for most of my time at the symposium I will dress as I would at school.  

I have heard that the streets of Istanbul are full of vendors pushing stuff at tourists.  They can spot you a block away, or so I have heard.  I would like to dress so that I have an extra few seconds up on the vendors.  Let them spot me a half a block away. 

By the way, the pamphlet on dress etiquette also has a section on how women should wear the head scarf known as the hijab in conservative Islamic countries.  I have heard that Turkey (and especially Istanbul) is the most open in the Muslim world.  I'll report what I see in terms of dress. 


No comments:

Post a Comment