Tuesday, October 26, 2010

English Uber Alles

English is everywhere in Istanbul.  Very rarely did I find myself in a situation in which my supreme lack of language was a problem.  Although the symposium had a majority of Turkish participants and presenters, all of the major presentations that I heard were in English.  Istanbul Sehir University conducts all of its classes in English, as do a large number of universities in Turkey.  ISU is particularly focused on English because it wants to distinguish itself as a major research institution.  In order for students to be on the cutting edge of research today, they need to learn English. 
Everyone involved in the tourist trade in Istanbul has a passing familiarity with major expressions in English, and I encountered scores of people who were completely fluent.   Once I went to a restaurant (the one recommended by Rick Steves mentioned in an earlier post) that had a large group of Chinese tourists.  They spoke in broken English to the waiter, who himself only spoke in broken English.  It was comical in a way, but a definite sign of the globalized world that we live in and the role of the English language.
People may debate the declining influence of the United States as a world power today.  From my experience the complete  dominance of the English language, however, is undeniable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment