Friday, October 22, 2010

More on cats

News flash on cats in Istanbul:

A Byzantine historian told me today that 6th century documents from Istanbul talk about the huge number of cats wandering the streets.

Cool.  This is truly continuity over time in world history.

So, I decided to include another picture of a Byzantine descended cat on old Byzantine era ruins:

Also, I found more information about the scary poster of the cat that I put on an early post.  I got a translation from my Turkish friend Recep.  It means something like, "we also belong to Istanbul."  In other words, "don't treat us badly.  We belong here too."

1 comment:

  1. It's incredibly weird to see your photos of locations that closely mirror photos from our trip. It's not like the Statue of Liberty, where you're used to seeing people posing in front.
    I'll need to dig up my version of this picture. There were three boys who were alternately tossing/posing with kittens in this spot.

    ReplyDelete