Saturday, October 23, 2010

Call to Prayer

Istanbul has an enormous number of mosques, and five times a day the muezzin calls the faithful to prayer.  Just about every mosque has a loudspeaker that broadcasts the chant from the minaret.

I heard that in Ottoman times clocks were banned in the city because the sultan thought that people would not pay attention to the calls to prayer to structure their time. 

So once at sunrise, when the sun is at its highest, at mid-afternoon, at sunset, and in the evening the various calls to prayer can be heard no matter where you are.


Near my hotel are several mosques, so they need to slightly alternate so they don't sing out at the same time. 

I got this shot as I was walking home.  I think that the Turkish flag waving in the foreground adds a certain touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment